Eyelashes are those fine hairs that grows on the edge of our eyelids. It is a sensory system which protects our eyes from dirt and other particles which might hurt our eyes. Apart from being an important part of the body, it also adds beauty to the face.
Causes of Eyelashes to Fall Out
Let’s first talk about what causes eyelashes to fall out and then we will talk about how long does it take for eyelashes to grow back and what are the things which helps it grow.
Long, curled and fuller eyelashes is the trend of the season. Hot eyelash curlers are the new favourite of make-up moguls. It might give your eyelashes a nice curled look but it can damage lashes by making it fragile. Just like hair straighteners and blow dryers damage your hair, likewise hot eyelash curlers damage your eyelashes. Another tool is eyelash curler. Many people curl their eyelashes after applying mascara on it. The mascara dries on your eyelashes and using an eyelash curler on it after applying mascara can break your lashes.
The loss of eyelashes can also be a sign of skin cancer. Even the loss of eyebrows will be noticeable. Cancer can significantly affect the growth of your eyelashes. If diagnosed earlier, it will be little easy to treat.
The thyroid in an endocrine gland in the body which produces important hormones essential for growth. Hormonal imbalance can cause hair loss from the body which means also from the eyelashes.
In trichotillomania, a person might pull out their lashes under some emotional or psychological distress.
Losing eyelashes can also be due to side-effects of some medicines.
There are so many body infections that can cause losing of eyelashes like from HIV, Syphilis, Leprosy or Herpes.
It is a condition in which the hair follicles of our body are attacked. It leads to visible hair loss on scalp, eyelashes, eyebrowas and other parts of the body.
Now, let’s discuss about how our eyelashes grow. The growth of our eyelashes is slower as compared to our scalp hair because fall off after certain number of days and is replaced by new hair. Like other hair in the body, our lashes also take three phases to grow: anagen, which is the active growth phase and takes about 30-45 days. Catagen, which is the transition phase and takes around 14-21 days. Telogen is the phase in which our eyelashes fall off naturally and it takes around 100 days. So, this is how long does it take for our eyelashes to grow.
It is possible for the eyelashes to grow back but we should keep in mind that we need to provide it hydration and nutrition like it is provided to the hair on our scalp. Let’s dive into how to speed up the growing process by natural and artificial hacks.
Natural Remedies to Regain the Eyelashes
First we will talk about natural remedies. But it is important to consult a dermatologist before trying out anything.
- Castor Oil- Castor oil has been trusted for ages in promoting hair growth. In this case, it comes handy as it will hydrate and moisturize our eyelashes and make them look beautiful and fuller.
- Coconut Oil mixed with Olive Oil- Coconut oil strengthens your eyelashes and Olive oil is very rich in protein which will nourish your eyelashes and help it grow.
- Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)- Recommended for acne-prone skin as well for its hydrating nature, it is also moisturizes your eyelashes and makes the eyelashes look bigger along with helping it grow.
- Vitamin E- Vitamin E is the favourite of all for all beauty bloggers. Vitamin E is said to strengthen the lashes and speedup the growing process.
Artificial Hacks to get back the Eyelashes
Coming to some artificial hacks on how to make our eyelashes fuller and longer:
- False eyelashes- These have been in trend for the past couple of years and can make your lashes look instantly fuller and longer as you have always wanted it to be.
- Baby Powder- Use some baby powder on your eyelashes before applying mascara. It will make your lashes look more lush and thicker.
- Eyelash serums- There are so many serums available now in the market, specially designed for eyelashes. These serums speed up the anagen stage in which the lashes actively grow.
- Lash Extensions and Lash Tinting- Beauty industry have developed vastly and seems to have solutions for every beauty problem. Eyelash extension has become so common these days. It is a cosmetic process by which artificial lashes are added to with our natural lashes. Lash tinting is also a cosmetic process in which people with paler hair get their lashes dyed to make it look more prominent.
So, here we come to the end of our topic on how long does it take for our eyelashes to grow. We now know that moisturization and nutrition is the key to have healthy lashes. And also, we shouldn’t handle our eyelashes harshly.