Stuck in lockdown? Check out this Recipe of Dhokla to refine your culinary skills! Be it a Besan Dhokla or a Suji Dhokla, Dhokla’s are the apt Gujarati cuisine that make one’s mouth water. So, what better time to learn how to prepare the best Dhokla if not under quarantine? Read ahead to learn all that you need to know about preparing the best Dhokla, along with a recipe of Dhokla in Hindi.
Dhokla is one of the specialities of Gujarati cuisine. People often get confused between the traditional Khaman Dhokla and the white-coloured Dhokla; however, the authentic Khaman Dhokla is yellow in colour. Khaman Dhokla generally takes around 30 minutes to be ready to eat, and is the perfect combination of sweet and sour. These Dhoklas are popularly known as Besan Dhokla and Suji Dhokla. Learn how to create this dish with the recipe of Dhokla provided below!
Besan Dhokla Recipe
Follow this Besan Dhokla Recipe of Dhokla to prepare the perfect snack item for you and your family one a fine evening.
Ingredients (for serving 4 people):
- 2 cup gram flour (Besan)
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon refined oil
- 11 cups of water
- 3 and ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 30 curry leaves
- 1 and ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon coconut powder
Procedure for Preparing Besan Dhokla
- Take a glass bowl, and add gram flour, salt, water, lemon juice and baking soda to it. Mix the batter well, and let it rest for 1-2 hours for proper fermentation.
- Boil some water and pour it into a steamer, and use oil to grease the utensil.
- Pour the batter into the Dhokla/Idli cooker and cook it on a low flame for nearly 15-20 minutes. After 15-20 minutes, insert a knife in the Dhokla to check if it’s completely cooked. If the knife comes out clean, the Dhokla is done and the cooker can be removed from the stove.
- Allow the cooked dish to cool down, then cut it into square pieces.
- Heat another pan over a moderate flame, and heat some oil in it. Once it turns sufficiently hot, add curry leaves, mustard seeds and vertically-sliced green chilli to the pan. Allow it to boil after adding ½ cup of water.
- After 2-3 boils, squeeze ½ lemon and add sugar and coriander leaves to the pan.
- If you want the dish to be spicy, some finely-chopped green chillies can be added to the top coating.
- The tempering for layering the Dhokla has been prepared. Pour it on the Dhokla for adding flavour, and serve with some green chutney.
Another variation to this traditional recipe of Dhokla is layering dhoklas on top of another and putting your favourite sauce in between the layers to create a ‘Dhokla sandwich’ and add more flavour.
Suji Dhokla Recipe
One variant of the all-time favourite Dhokla is the white-coloured Suji Dhokla, also known as Rava Dhokla. Follow this Suji Dhokla Recipe for preparing a fun snack-
- 1 and ½ cup Semolina (Suji)
- ½ cup curd
- 1 and ½ teaspoon green chilli paste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 and ½ teaspoon fruit salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander
The Procedure to Make Suji Dhokla
- Take a deep bowl, and mix the suji, curd, green chilli paste, oil, salt and water, whisking it well.
- Add the fruit salt and 2 teaspoons of water just before the dhokla is to be steamed. Once the bubbles form, mix them gently.
- Pour the batter into a greased thali, and spread it all over in an even layer by shaking the thali clockwise.
- Steam the batter in the dhokla steamer for about 12 minutes, and leave it aside to rest.
- Heat the 1 teaspoon of oil remaining in a small non-stick pan, and add the mustard seeds, hing seeds and sesame seeds.
- Saute on a medium flame for about 30 seconds
- Pour the tempering prepared over the suji dhokla and sprinkle coriander over it for garnish
- After it cools, cut the dhokla into square pieces
- Serve the hot piping Suji Dhokla with green chutney
Recipe of Dhokla in Hindi
Read ahead to find the recipe of Dhokla in Hindi. This Recipe of Dhokla in Hindi will tell you the exact measurements required to create the perfect Dhokla.
- 1 कप बेसन
- 1 चम्मच नीम्बू का रास
- 2 बड़े चम्मच दही
- हरी मिर्च एवं अदरक का पेस्ट (1 बड़ा चम्मच)
- फ्रूट सॉल्ट (1 चम्मच)
- चुटकी भर हल्दी पाउडर
- 1 छोटा चम्मच तेल
- 2 कप पानी
तड़के के लिए सामग्री
- 1 बड़ा चम्मच तेल
- चुटकीभर हींग
- आधा छोटा चम्मच राइ
- 4 कटी हरी मिर्च
- 2 बड़ा चम्मच कटी हुई धनयापत्ति
- चीनी (एक छोटा चम्मच)
- एक बर्तन में बेसन डालने के बाद उसमें पानी मिलाएं
- इस मिश्रण में नीम्बू का रास, नमक और दही दाल कर अच्छी तरह मिला लें
- 1 -2 घंटे तक इस मिश्रण को अलग रख दें
- 1 -2 घंटे बाद हरी मिर्च का पेस्ट इस मिश्रण में मिला दें
- ढोकला कूकर को तेल से तैयार कर दे
- 2 -3 कप पानी कूकर में डाल कर गरम करने छोड़ दें
- बाकी सामग्री को कूकर में मिला कर तड़का तैयार कर लें
- 20 -25 मिनट बाद तड़के को ढोकले के ऊपर दाल हरी चटनी के साथ परोसें
This recipe of Dhokla makes a rainy evening perfect to enjoy. The Besan Dhokla Recipe and Suji Dhokla Recipe given above are variants of the family-favourite Dhokla, which can be enjoyed with green chutney or some jalebis. We’ve also provided a Recipe of Dhokla in Hindi to make the process simpler. Enjoy this delectable snack with your family!