Our body has its own extraordinary internal detoxification system, but it doesn’t hurt to boost that system. The liver, colon and the kidneys are the three crucial organs involved in detoxing and cleansing our body. For detoxification we need to keep these vital organs healthy and spirulina detox plays a major role in that. The liver prevents toxic elements from entering the blood stream, the colon flushes out the toxins born and inserted in the body and the kidneys constantly filters our blood and get rids of the toxic elements in our urine.
What is Spirulina?
Spirulina is a biomass of blue-green algae that can be consumed by humans and animals. It is loaded with various nutrients and antioxidants which benefit our body and brain. Spirulina detox tablets and powder are rich in vitamins B-1 (thiamine), B-2 (riboflavin), B-3(nicotinamide), B-6 (pyridoxine), and B-9 (folic acid). Cultivated worldwide, it is used as a dietary supplement and as a feed supplement in aquariums, pisciculture and poultry industries. As a nutrient-rich dietary supplement, it is being investigated as an alternative from whole meal diets and to address food security and malnutrition.
Spirulina, Heavy Metal Detox
Spirulina heavy metal detox is one of the most effective way to detox the body. In our modern world heavy metals such as arsenic, lead, cadmium, aluminum are found in the food we eat, the air we breathe and the water we drink and out body acts as a natural sponge and absorbs the toxins and store it in the body for years. These heavy metals put stress on our bodies and gradually weakens the immune system making it vulnerable for bacteria and viruses to attach.
But different natural elements are used to prevent this otherwise inevitable demise, one such element is spirulina for heavy metal detox. It works as a chelator and binds to these toxic elements and aid as a natural detoxifier. Having a large surface area, spirulina binds to large amounts of toxins and expels it through urine. If we take it in small amounts daily along with regular exercising and stay away from processed food, our body might detoxify naturally at a greater rate.
Although taking spirulina helps our body so much it can also have some serious side-effects which make us question if detoxifying our body is really worth it. And if you are allergic to sea weeds or sea vegetables, spirulina is not for you. There are some unmissable spirulina detox symptoms:
- Exacerbates the Symptoms of Auto-Immune Diseases: Auto immune diseases like Type 2 diabetes, arthritis and asthma are serious issues all on their own but when spirulina consumption amplifies the activity of the immune system, it becomes a matter of life or death. Spirulina exacerbates the symptoms of a pre-existing illness and gives rise to inflammation
- Interferes with Drug Action: If you are taking immunosuppressants, you should stay away from it . It will diminish the acting potency and the drugs will not work for you.
- Heavy Metal Poisioning: It is ironic that spirulina, which you intake to detoxify your body, causes hard metal poisoning. Prolonged consumption of it can lead to kidney and liver damages.
- Anxiety and Neural Disorders: Spirulina harvested in unrestrained water bodies hold toxic strain which could cause severe neurodegenerative disorders like motor neuron disease, sclerosis, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, dementia, anxiety, and insomnia.
- Risk to Pregnancy: Infants and children should be kept away from such supplements because they quickly develop allergies and fatal cross-reaction.
In several studies examining the benefits of it for high cholesterol, doses of 1-8 grams daily for four weeks to six months has been used. To learn about its effects on hypertension, one study administered a dose of 4.5 grams of spirulina blue-green algae daily for six weeks.7 Another study of type 2 diabetes patient administered a product having 1 gram of it twice daily for two months. The proper dose for you may depend on factors including your age, gender, and medical history.
Just like everything else, Spirulina has its advantages and disadvantages. So, you should get to know everything about the product before deciding to put it in your body. Seek medical advice for alternatives if that does not work for you and exercize daily to release those toxic metals.
Spirulina is also good for environment because it will not take up much space and is easy to grow as compared to a grazing field which requires high maintenance and huge land.