In this year of unceasing lockdown, a glass of the best alcoholic beverages might help you get through the stressful days. While most people still enjoy a good shot of alcoholic richness, the “wellness” trend has caused many to reevaluate their consumption amount and choices. With increasing health issues consumers are opting for low or no alcoholic drinks instead of the traditional alcoholic ones and so the brands are doing their best to bring new and interesting twists to the classic drinks.
Know the Market of Alcoholic Beverages
Revenue in the Alcoholic Drinks market amounts to US$222,098m in 2020. The market is expected to grow annually by 7.9%. The market’s largest segment is the segment Beer with a market volume of US$101,847m in 2020. With the level of individual alcohol consumption growing each day, the manufacturers are trying their best to bring innovation and health in their best alcoholic beverages.
The consumers are choosing quality over quantity to make the best out of their drinking experience. Thus, the manufacturers are putting their best effort in marketing, especially e-marketing which was overlooked for the most part till 2020 due to complex alcohol rules and regulation. They are also investing in ‘smart packaging labels’ to provide easy access to information about their alcoholic beverages. This industry growth is mainly the result of the following factors: Affordable luxuries, convenience, experience, premiumization and health.
Five Segments of Alcoholic Beverages
The alcohol market is mainly divided into five main segments:
- Beer: Beer is the most-consumed alcoholic beverage by volume and new opportunities are rising from low and no- alcoholic beer. With growing acceptance around the world, manufacturers are experimenting with fruity and controversial flavors, which are being welcomed with open arms.
- Spirits: Tequila has always been the most preferred spirit, but the popularity of ‘brown spirits’ like bourbon and whiskey is also undeniable. Then there is Gin and tonic, often overlooked by US bars, which might be the best alcoholic beverage of 2020 because of its compatibility with lower sugar mixers.
- Wine and cider: Wine includes all fermented juices generated from grapes but excludes fruit wines like cider that are shown separately. Volume-wise, Wine is currently the smallest segment among Alcoholic Drinks, but its growth has been above average in recent years as demand in emerging countries like China has risen. The wine segment is further broken down into Still Wine, Sparkling Wine and Fortified Wine. A wine magazine found out that 28% of millennials drink wine on a daily basis and so they are kept in mind while pitching their marketing strategy. A 48% growth in the consumption of Rosé has been observed in the last 12 months.
- Ready to Drink Beverages: Once considered cheap, tack and a sugary trash, RTDs are being readily accepted by the US society. RTDs with their convenient and innovative style appeal largely to the younger consumers.
- Seltzers: Seltzers have experienced a growth of 200 percent in just the past year and are one of the best alcoholic beverages of US.
Alcohol and Health
Contrary to the popular belief that you can no longer drink if you have diabetes, there are some alcoholic beverages best for diabetics. Any liquor that you can consume if you have Type 2 diabetes is good for you. With soaring rates of diabetic and obese patients, doctors advice you to stay away from alcohol but keeping these patients in mind alcohol manufacturing companies are producing low carbs and low sugar containing drinks.
If you have type 2 diabetes your carbohydrate and sugar consumption need to be watched but the best alcoholic beverages for diabetics and the best low carb alcoholic beverages are listed below:
- Light beer and dry wines: These drinks have a very low rate of calories and carbohydrates compared to other sugary drinks.
- Neat Liquor on rocks: By avoiding mixers and consuming the original drink, extra carbohydrates and sugar can be prevented from mixing with the blood stream.
- Sugar-free mixers: If you want to have mixers but still want to prevent rise in blood sugar, dry tonic and lemon juice are your best options.
Even though the diabetes rate is so why, most US bars don’t have an option of low-carb drinks and you have to make do with good old vodka sodas, but if want to know the best low-carb alcoholic beverage it has to be silver tequila, sparkling water with orange juice and lemon slices. So, if you are on a keto diet or want to avoid high calories, order drinks with zero calorie mixers like sparkling water or soda water and add a dash of lemon or lime juice.
But what to do if you want to lose weight and still want to indulge in your favorite drinks? Alcohols are called ‘empty calories’ for a reason- they provide our bodies with high amounts of calories but very less nutrients. Most of the time we don’t even know what the lowest calorie count for alcohol actually is and end up gaining a lot of wait after just one night of drinking. Thus, we have listed the best alcoholic beverages for weight loss with their calories:
More Details on the Health Side of Alcohol Consumption
- Rum and Coke: With only 97 calories, rum and coke is the ideal choice for you if you are planning on losing weight.
- Vodka: Vodka does seem to be the most preferable choice for everything- weight loss, diabetics and so on. It has only 96 calories and to top it off it is also good for your heart and blood circulation, if taken in rational amounts. It is an excellent stress-reliever and can be enjoyed with low calorie mixers.
- Whiskey: Who knew that with just 103 calories, whiskey is often consumed after heavy meals to act as a digestive. Even ‘The American Society for Clinical Nutrition’ published that when taken in moderate amounts, whiskey increases energy and decreases desire for sugar intake.
- Red wine: All wines can lower the risk of diabetes by 13%, if consumed in reasonable amounts but red wine, having 123 calories, has antioxidants which prevents coronary artery diseases and boosts cardiovascular health.
Even if you take the best alcoholic beverages for weight loss you need to exercise daily to balance it out. Because if you consume the above drinks without any workout whatsoever, it will lead to inevitable weight gain.
Now, you can try out the different alcoholic beverages populating the market in 2020 and maybe even find a new go-to drink. 2020 might be the year quarantine but it’s also bringing newness to the market. With the unique and innovative twists to the classic drinks, the new products might not be everyone’s cup of tea but there’s no harm done in checking them out. But remember to consume only in rational amounts so that you can live long to enjoy them.
Leave a Reply