Intel VPro technology is a brand that provides a bulk set of PC hardware functions and features. Devices that support vPro should have a vPro enabled processor,chipset and BIOS.
What is Intel vPro technology and what does it contain?
What is VPro technology?
You can find the Intel VPro technology in many devices. VPro technology is a platform that has both the hardware and firmware. VPro can be found in laptops and mobile workstations. VPro is available in the CPU of a device or in its wireless chip. In April 2019, Intel launched the latest vPro which is the 8th Generation Intel Core series. The latest version is around 60 percent better than its previous counterparts. It has around ten to eleven hours of battery.
Also, it supports Wi-Fi that will allow fast internet connectivity. A vPro needs to have a Trusted Platform Module, cryptoprocessor and wireless/ wired internet speed. To most people still confused about what is vPro technology and the features it offers, Intel support will answer all your queries.
Contents of Intel VPro Technology
- They will include a multi core and multi thread XEON or Core processors
- Intel AMT which is a set of features that help remote access enabling for PCs
- Most people opt for VPro due to this AMT technology that help enterprises seek help remotely.
- Wired or a wireless internet connectivity.
- Intel TXT that will verify the launch environment. It is a computer hardware technology whose primary goals are: Attestation of the authenticity of a platform and its operating system.
- Intel vPro provides support for IEEE 802.1X, Cisco Self Defending Network and Microsoft NAP(Network Access Protector).
- Intel VT-x for CPU and memory. The Intel VT-x extensions are probably the best recognized extensions, adding migration, priority and memory handling capabilities to a wide range of Intel processors.
- Intel VT-d for I/O to support remote environment.Intel VT-d is the latest part of the Intel Virtualization Technology hardware architecture. VT-d helps the VMM better utilize hardware by improving application compatibility and reliability, and providing additional levels of manageability, security, isolation, and I/O performance.
- Intel VT-x will help to accelerate hardware virtualization.The Intel VT-x extensions are probably the best recognized extensions, adding migration, priority and memory handling capabilities to a wide range of Intel processors.
VPro was initially installed to help IT departments streamline the procedure to turn on and off enterprise desktop computers.To remotely manage an AMT device, it has to be configured and communication needs to be established over the corporate network. It must have an AMT Master password for admin assigned and the local network connection information applied to the firmware. No matter what the AMT type is, it has to be configured and set up for use by following Intel’s setup and configuration manual. For all those who are still seeking answers to What is intel vPro technology and if their business needs one, please continue reading ahead
How does VPro Function?
A pre-existing software is used to manage all intel vPro technology features. Microsoft SCCM is a commonly used console client. 90 % of IT departments manage remote activities with SCCM
What are the Intel vPro technology advanced management features?
- VPro technology manages, scans and updates PC remotely
- VPro is a go to platform when a person who is away from the IT team required help in their device
- For eg. incase of a virus attack while working remotely, the IT professionals can update and reset your device using VPro instead of physically visiting the device location
- In cases of mass updating or installation for the whole company, the IT team can easily access all the devices remotely. This includes updating OS, BIOS or any other software. This will ensure all are using the same software and updated version
- An Intel Pro SSD hard drive can be erased easily while using Intel’s VPro system.
- The remote erase helps a lot especially if a PC is stolen or when an employee leaves the organization
Is VPro Secure?
With a large number of devices connected over a large network, managing and protecting data is a very crucial task. Intel Authenticate (IA) has helped Intel update the security for vPro. IA has helped secure devices by locking them for use by only one user . The authentication is done using fingerprint or password protected PIN.Intel vPro technology advanced management features also offers Intel’s Software Guard Extensions (SGX), which provide secure enclaves for application developers. Those enclaves are safe, protected spaces for programs to be developed without entailing security risks, including data loss or disclosure.
Who can use Intel vPro technology features?
VPro is not designed for common man’s use. Activating VPro requires one to use an enterprise OS and an administrator console. A user would need significant IT expertise to understand the terms, conditions and how it functions. Also, VPro is used to make the job easier for IT professionals functioning remotely. Businesses that have more than 1000 employees can use VPro.Also, for organizations with lesser employees VPro will help organize and manage access levels across different roles. Also, for those organizations that have a large number of employees working remotely; IT department can easily manage the software and IT processes using VPro.
Business Benefits of the Intel vPro Platform
- Intel VPro Platform will ensure to provide highest performing Core i5 and i7 that can support and enhance employee’s productivity and performance
- It has in built security features that will protect and keep OS secure
- Virtual management of systems that are not present on the premise.
- Verified platform that integrate latest technologies available for the PC
Intel VPro technology is mostly mistaken to be a tool used to enable remote access. However, apart from remote access that is enabled through AMT; vPro includes innumerable other security benefits. Intel is constantly upgrading its vPro version enhanced with more exciting features and safeguarded with more security.
Leave a Reply