With its vast array of islands, mountains and mega metropolises, one can simply not pick out 10 top places to visit in Asia. However, we’ve done our best to curate a list that caters to your needs, bringing you the best places in Asia to enjoy your vacation to the fullest. Pack your bags, pick your destination, follow this guide and find out the miracle that Asia is!
The best time to visit Asian countries is between November and March, when the temperature is moderate in most countries and festivals and carnivals are ongoing in most. This time period is mostly ideal for Southeast Asian countries, including Maldives and Thailand.
Maldives tops the list of the ten best places to visit in Asia, for its picturesque location, scenic beauty and variety of fun activities available make it absolutely irresistible. The beauty of Maldives is unbelievable; we’ve all come across it and wondered how something so astonishing be real. With its breath-taking sunsets and sunrises, white sand beaches and striking blue water and coral reefs, Maldives in itself is the complete package.
Maldives is divided into several islands, some of which remain public while some others have been converted into private islands. While the former are somewhat budget-friendly, the latter home heavily expensive activities and the world-famous Water Villas, which open right into the endless ocean. After getting down at the Velana International Airport in Male (the Capital city), one can either take a speedboat to one of the islands or a sea plane to one of the private islands.
The island nation of Maldives is especially a favourite amongst honeymooners, as the seclusion and gorgeous location provide a beautiful background to a romantic trip. Adventurers are also sure to have a ton of fun, with activities like Jet-skiing, Scuba Diving, Rafting, and especially Snorkelling readily available.
Best Time to Visit Maldives
The best time to visit Maldives is between April and November, when there is little precipitation and warm temperature.
Best Hotels in Maldives
- Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef, Maldives
- PER AQUUM Huaven Fushi
- Taj Exotica Resort and Spa
- Adaaran Prestige Water Villas
- Anantara Veli Maldives Resort
Top Things to do in Maldives
- Relax at the white sandy Maldivian beaches
- Tour the capital city of Male, including sites like Republic Square, the National Museum and Sultan Park
- Enjoy adventure activities like Snorkelling, Scuba Diving, and Parasailing
- Visit the Male fish market to get a glimpse of Maldives’ daily life
- Book a spa treatment at one of the many glamourous Spa Centres.
Crazy about anime, the city of Tokyo looks like it has been made out of a cartoon book itself. This mega city in Japan is constantly buzzing with movement, be it people or vehicles. The museums and historical sites located in Tokyo are world-class- one can take photos and enjoy sushi, or find a superb backdrop against the Cherry Blossom trees in the right season!
An extremely safe city, one can travel around Tokyo and enjoy how life is always in motion through its subway. However, there are very high chances that one may be tempted to enjoy the hustle and bustle of the city on foot!
Best Time to Visit Tokyo
Tokyo can be best enjoyed in the months of March, April, September and November. Autumn is the best time for experiencing the full potential of Tokyo, as the city is at its best in terms of colour and comfort.
Best Hotels in Tokyo
- Comfort Hotel Tokyo Kanda
- Comfort Hotel Tokyo Higashi Nihombashi
- Hotel Rose Garden Shinjuku
- Conrad Tokyo
- Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi
Top Things to do in Tokyo:
- Visit the Tokyo National Museum to learn about Japanese history
- Check out the unique architecture at the Meiji Shrine
- Visit the Sensoji Temple, the oldest religious site in Tokyo
- Spend time at Odaiba, the mini-island located at Tokyo Bay; a hub of entertainment
- Catch the exciting interactive displays available at the National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation
Not just home to a varied landscape comprising of beaches, aquamarine waters and limestone cliffs, Phuket also boasts of a flavourful cuisine and its rich culture. This island is one of the most budget-friendly options for spending your vacations, requiring only moderate charges for everything, be it boat rides, accommodation or spa treatments.
Surrounded by the Andaman Sea, Phuket is located only an hour away from Bangkok. Remembering the tsunami that hit the beautiful island back in 2004, Phuket remembers everything with memorials and a stricter protection system.
Best Time to Visit Phuket
The months between November and April are ideal for travelling to Phuket and enjoying water activities like boating and swimming. While the low prices during the monsoon months (May to October) might be tempting, the water conditions during this time can be dangerous.
Best Hotels in Phuket:
- Andara Resort Villas
- Trisara Villas and Residences Phuket
- Jasmine House
- Ibis Phuket Kata
- Metropole Hotel Phuket
Top Things to do in Phuket:
- Catch an amazing view of the Andaman Sea from Phuket’s southernmost point, Promthep Cape
- Enjoy a bird-eye view of the Kata Bay, Karon Strand and Chalong Bay from the giant Big Buddha statue
- Feast at the authentic collection of restaurants near the Nai Harn Beach, the southernmost strip of sand in Phuket
- Spend time with furry buddies at the Soi Dog Foundation, an innovative rescue shelter for cats and dogs.
- Go snorkelling and boating on the Phuket Boat Tours
Bali is the perfect definition of heaven on earth. Accommodating every traveller, from one travelling on budget to one travelling in luxury, Bali manages to make one feel at home even though they are far away from it. Those interested in its vast history are keen to travel to its many temples, while the adventurers find themselves en route the active volcano in Kintamani. The town of Kuta, on the other hand, provides a perfect setting for enjoying the Bali nightlife.
Best Time to Visit Bali
The island’s dry season i.e. the months between April and October are most comfortable for those willing to enjoy the beaches.
Best Hotels in Bali
- Capella Ubud
- Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan
- Ida Hotel
- AlamKulKul Boutique Resort, Kuta
- Mercure Resort, Sanur
Top Things to do in Bali
- Offer prayers at the active prayer temple, Tirta Empul Temple
- Rave about the stunning cliffside locale, beautiful architecture and the sound of waves down below the Uluwatu Temple
- Enjoy the sunset from Tanah Lot Temple, also a stunning religious complex
- Feast on the succulent seafood and relax on the sandy shoreline of Jimbaran, one of Bali’s most luxurious destinations
- Explore through Kuta, Bali’s most popular beach town, for a variety of brilliant restaurants, bars, stores, spas and water parks.
5. Hong Kong
Hong Kong boasts of a vibrant, multifaceted culture and stunning cityscape. This British-Chinese hybrid sees both dense skyscrapers and lush landscapes. As a world-class metropolis, Hong Kong has numerous urban divisions, like culinary hot spots and museums. It also offers both sandy beaches and rugby pitches to all its visitors.
Best Time to Visit Hong Kong
The period between October and December offers comfortable temperatures along with reasonable room rates. Post New Year’s, visiting Hong Kong gets significantly pricey.
Best Hotels in Hong Kong
- Rambler Oasis Hotel
- Silka Far East Hotel
- Regal Riverside Hotel
- Cordis Hong Kong at Langham Place
- Mandarin Oriental
Top Things to Do in Hong Kong
- Enjoy the scenic route around the city by travelling in the Star Ferry
- View the entire city from its highest point, the Victoria Peak
- Go on a shopping spree at the Street Markets
- Gamble (legally!) at the Happy Valley Racecourse
- Watch the majestic Hong Kong line without obstructions from the Tsim Sha Tsui Promenade
Kyoto provides tourists with a snapshot of Imperial Japan; right from its cherry blossom trees to a pair of elegantly dressed geisha flitting between wooden tea houses. However, it’s not just a dainty old town- Kyoto has its own fair share of glimpses of a newer Japan. Be it century old Shinto shrines or the headquarters of companies like Nintendo and Kyocera, Kyoto stands out as a combination of ancient and contemporary, and shines vibrantly, that has certainly moved on from its predecessor.
Best Time to Visit Kyoto
The months between March and May, along with between September and November, make up the best time to visit Kyoto, since the weather is at its mildest. However, this time also draws tourists in huge crowds, most of who visit in anticipation of the blooming cherry blossoms.
Best Hotels in Kyoto
- Four Seasons Hotel
- Suiran- A Luxury Collection Hotel
- The Ritz-Carlton
- Hotel Granvia
- Hyatt Regency
Top Things to do in Kyoto
- Witness the 10,000 red and orange lacquered torii gates at the Fushimi Inari Shrine
- Enjoy the natural scenery from the Kiyomizu Temple
- Experience the historic features (tea houses, willow-lined roads etc.) of the Gion neighbourhood
- Admire the cherry blossom trees from the quaint Arashiyama neighbourhood
- Shop for traditional Japanese cuisine at the Nishiki Market
This modern Asian metropolis maintains a balance of green belts and skyscrapers. In addition to this, it has also managed to sustain substantial ethnic enclaves like Chinatown and Little India. However, Singapore, in spite of being modern in its approach, has managed to preserve large wetlands.
Best Time to Visit Singapore
The best time to visit Singapore is anytime, as the island nation experiences a warm, tropical climate year-round. However, one must beware that it rains all throughout the year.
Best Hotels in Singapore
- The Fullerton Bay Hotels
- Ascott Raffles Place
- Conrad Centennial
- Crowne Plaza Changi Airport
Top Things to do in Singapore
- Skip the trek and enjoy the urban jungle of Gardens by the Bay
- Entertain yourself at numerous points of interest like the Art & Science Museum and the Float at Marina Bay.
- Enjoy nature at the Singapore Botanic Gardens
- Witness the indoor waterfall at Cloud Forest
- Eat out at the various eateries and food stalls in Chinatown
Bangkok is one city with a dynamic environment; the contrast in its settings is quite chaotic. Most people visiting Bangkok for the first time feel like it is trapped between the past and the present, with both ancient temples and modern shopping malls lining up the streets of Thailand’s capital.
The exhilarating city of Bangkok is sure to take a toll on its visitors; the hot weather is consistent and the city is full of crowds. However, the grass is greener on the other side, and in this case, it is in the form of numerous attractions sure to leave you flabbergasted- the world’s largest open-air market, a world-class aquarium built inside an eight-level shopping mall and a 150-feet golden Buddha statue, to name a few. Bangkok has a certain ‘delightful incongruity’ to offer, so stay ready for surprises!
Best Time to Visit Bangkok
The best time to visit Bangkok, weather-wise, is between November and March because heat and humidity at this time are at their lowest. However, a trip between April and October, in spite of being the hottest time with heavy rainfall, can offer you wonderful deals on airfare and hotels. An added advantage is less footfall, so one can be saved from excessive crowding.
Best Hotels in Bangkok
- New Empire Hotel
- Rembrandt Towers Serviced Apartments
- Grand Inn Hotel
- The Okura Prestige
- The Siam
Top Things to do in Bangkok
- Behold the Wat Arun Temple at dawn or sunset
- Witness the infamous ‘reclining Buddha’ at the Wat Pho Temple
- Shop for a multitude of goods at the mammoth Chatuchak Weekend Market
- Visit the beautiful Grand Palace, which has been home to numerous Thai Kings
- Enjoy the contemporary architecture found at the Bangkok Art and Culture Centre
The city of Seoul, characterized by stunning architecture, vibrant culture and a thriving economy, is resilient in nature. Congruent to its flag which represents ‘balance’, Seoul seems to be moving fast into the future; however, it has also managed to maintain ties with its rich history. One can find relics of Seoul’s past tucked between the vast shopping districts and lively nightlife zones.
Seoul offers a playful blend of the past and the present- the two do not overlap, rather complement each other. It boasts of the oldest and largest of the five Joseon Dynasty palaces in the city, Gyeongbok Palace. On the other hand, Seoul is also home to Buckon Village, which comprises of one-story wooden homes surrounded by high-rises. This provides a clear picture of the varied architecture present in Seoul.
Best Time to Visit Seoul
The best time to visit Seoul includes the months between March and May, and between September and November. The weather in these months is mild, and travel expenses are not very high. Those in search of a snowy vacation can also choose to visit between December and February.
Best Hotels in Seoul
- JW Marriott Hotel
- Banyan Tree Club and Spa
- Grand Intercontinental Seoul Parnas
- Grand Walkerhill
- Mayfield Hotel and Resort
Top Things to do in Seoul
- Visit the Namsan Park and N Seoul Tower for a panoramic view of Seoul
- Take a stroll through the traditional Korean homes known as hanoks at the Bukchon Hanok Village
- Hike to the mountainous Bukhansan National Park
- Witness the youth culture of Seoul at Hongdae, through its plethora of bars, clubs, restaurants and cafes
- Shop for hanbok (traditional Indian clothing), herbal teas and calligraphy supplies from the Insadong neighbourhood
The city of Shanghai is in a state of constant change; thus, get ready to say goodbye to monotony! Celebrating its prosperity with monumental industries like that of the Oriental Pearl TV Tower, Shanghai can be defined as China’s most dynamic metropolis.
However, one may find themselves getting lost in this city full of towering skyscrapers and bustling traffic. To prevent the place from feeling inaccessible and impersonal, one must do things that curtail to the ‘real’ Shanghai natives. Discover dining gems at the convoluted Zhujiajiao, find a calm spot at the Bund and reflect at the beautiful Jade Buddha Temple. To enjoy the vibrancy of Shanghai, create your own!
Best Time to Visit Shanghai
The months of October-November are ideal for visiting Shanghai. These short autumn months provide for the comfortable weather and minimal crowds. It also allows one to escape the crowds and rain showers generally witnessed during summer, which is the peak season. Weekend stays at hotels are comparatively cheaper, since Shanghai is a business-centric city.
Best Hotels in Shanghai:
- Fairmont Peace Hotel
- Grand Kempinski Hotel
- Kerry Hotel Pudong
- Pudong Shangri-La East Shanghai
- The Langham, Shanghai, Xintiandi
Top Things to do in Shanghai:
- Take beautiful pictures against the classic Shanghai skyline and water front at the infamous Bund
- Witness the distinct architecture of the Shanghai Museum
- Enjoy a boat ride and eat at tiny cafes located in the ancient water town of Zhujajiao
- Catch a bird-eye view of the entire city from one of the tallest buildings in the world, the Shanghai World Financial Centre
- Visit the oldest and largest religious complex of Shanghai, the Longhua Temple
Here are the top 10 places to visit in Asia. Each one of these places have a wonderful aura and charm about themselves, and must be enjoyed to the fullest. So, pack your bags, pick up this tour guide, and plan a vacation for yourself, your friends and your family to make a bucketful of memories!